Overview of the Firm
Partners Capital is a $30B private investment office which provides investment management services to charitable endowments and foundations, pension funds, and family offices. Whilst we have a global reach with offices in London, Paris, New York, Boston, San Francisco, Singapore and Hong Kong, we retain an entrepreneurial and collegiate culture.
We were founded in 2001 to provide our clients with a long-term, multi-asset class, multi-manager investment approach, similar to the one pioneered by David Swenson, Head of Yale University’s Endowment Investment Office. To this end, we invest across the broad asset class spectrum, which includes well-known strategies such as Hedge Funds, Private Equity and Real Estate as well as more esoteric opportunities such as litigation finance, retro reinsurance and life settlements. Whilst we largely invest through funds, we also regularly co- invest alongside our managers.
We remain free from the conflicts of interest inherent in the business models of more traditional investment managers and private banks. We are proud of this independence, as well as our track record of outperformance, the sophistication of our clients, and the longevity of our relationships with them. Due to continued growth in our business, we are looking to hire a legal counsel to work in our London office.
The job holder will join a small legal team, will contribute to the efficient running of the legal function and be responsible for a broad range of activities and legal matters across all areas of the firm. They will report directly to the General Counsel and Head of Compliance (based in the UK).
Duties will include:
- Providing legal support and advice to all our offices globally on all aspects of the firm's business.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide variety of agreements which shall primarily be alternative fund documentation (Limited Partnership Agreement, Subscription Agreements, term sheets, PPMs, side letters etc)
- Assisting with respect to discretionary management agreements / advisory agreements with our clients and Non-Disclosure Agreements and other miscellaneous agreements (such as custodian agreements, IT agreements (software licence agreements, service level agreements), agreements with service providers, lease agreements).
- Working on corporate matters and occasionally assist with employment, data protection and IP related matters.
- Coordinating with external counsel in preparation of various fund documents and other cross border matters.
- Ad hoc legal research
- Assisting with regulatory matters as required and advising on policy development – introducing new policies in response to new legislation and revising current policies to meet the needs of the business.
- Keeping abreast of any changes in the law and of industry practices.
- UK qualified solicitor
- Fund lawyer with at least five years’ post qualification experience and training from a top tier law firm or reputable asset manager who is willing to take on a broader role.
- Experience of a broad range of alternative funds (hedge funds, private equity, private debt, managed accounts, uncorrelated strategies) and bespoke structures.
- Ability to draft, review and amend fund formation documentation (mainly Cayman and Delaware governing laws)
- You will ideally have experience of working on matters across several jurisdiction (notably UK and US).
- Ability to work with a degree of independence and escalating issues when and if necessary.
- Ability to interact with multiple levels in an organisation in an international environment
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and manage expectations and time in a fast-paced environment with shifting demands.
- Exceptional drafting skills and legal research ability
- Strong financial and business awareness
We offer a competitive package including long term performance related incentives.
Please send a CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Legal Counsel".