We are looking for a talented Investment Associate to join our Private Equity team based in Boston. The individual will be responsible for supporting senior investment professionals in our Private Equity research activities across private equity strategies including buyouts, private equity real estate, venture capital, and “alternative alternatives” (uncorrelated strategies). The individual must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. In addition, the individual must be equally comfortable working independently as well as with a large team to execute on the opportunity set.
The Private Equity team manages the Firm’s Private Equity investment program across external manager relationships and direct investments. The Partners Capital research team is the engine for identifying and underwriting attractive investment opportunities for inclusion in client portfolios.
The primary goal of the Private Equity research team is to deliver high absolute returns over the long-term by partnering with of top-tier managers and select direct investments. The team also supports the growth of the business through innovation, creativity and continuous improvement of our investment program in the face of a competitive and rapidly changing market environment. It also requires that we develop our people, our processes and our systems to stay at the forefront of the investment management industry. We are seeking an individual who would be a key contributor to these efforts.
- Investment Diligence: Support rigorous and comprehensive due diligence of asset managers and other direct investment opportunities. Stress-test the manager’s assumptions and develop an independent view of the merits of the investment, particularly in the context of the manager’s mandate, skill and experience. Diligence activities include meetings with managers, quantitative analysis of portfolios and performance, qualitative assessments of team, investment process and research quality, and external referencing and triangulation. The diligence process concludes with a detailed written investment presentation for discussion among the team and with the Internal Investment Committee.
- Prepare Internal and External Investment Documentation: Create materials for internal investment committee consideration. Internal documentation includes transaction information, company/opportunity financial analyses, due diligence findings, and investment recommendation. Also prepare summary materials for client-facing teams / fundraising
- Investment Monitoring and Portfolio Management: Support ongoing diligence and monitoring of investment managers and opportunities, including formal quarterly and annual reporting processes. Support research on core investment themes. Assist in portfolio management function for pooled investment vehicles.
- Process Management: Process management is critical to the success of the team’s investment activities. Core responsibilities to include investment database support, client investment process management and marketing support.
In addition to the above, you will, for variety, take on other activities and projects, which might include researching and improving our portfolio construction knowledge and approach, assisting with business development, or helping to develop our technological capabilities Key responsibilities may be assessed and are subject to change from time to time based on the needs of the business.
Qualifications / Attributes
- Deep understanding and passion for investing and markets
- 2-5 years’ experience in investment banking, direct investing role, manager due diligence role, and/or a related professional services field (e.g., management consulting)
- Undergraduate degree with a strong track record of academic achievement
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative working environment
- Intellectually curious and a team player who is willing to do whatever it takes to contribute to the success of the business
Compensation / Benefits
Our salary and benefits package is competitive and includes a base salary, a performance-based cash bonus and a deferred compensation program directly linked to firm profitability, designed to support retention and incentivize long-term employees. Partners Capital is committed to the development of its staff and provides extensive on-the-job learning and training opportunities. We also support pursuit of professional certifications as appropriate to each individual.
Benefits Partners Capital is committed to being a great place to work. We are focused both on wellbeing and professional growth. You can expect professional development and career progression opportunities, competitive compensation, exceptional benefits, and a flexible “results-focused” working model. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, commuter benefits, paid time off and a 401(k) plan with employer matching. The Firm also supports global philanthropy via a charity program and volunteer day. In addition, we champion a variety of wellness and social events.
Hiring Manager: John Beil, Head of Private Equity and Real Estate